Discovering the Aude
Le Clapotis straddles two regions and two often opposed cultures. On one side there are the Cathars of the Aude, and on the other side the Catalans of the Pyrénées Orientales. This provides a vast choice of activities open to all, of every kind. Here are a few possibilities, listed in order of their proximity to Le Clapotis.
Less than 15 minutes from Le Clapotis
• Port la Nouvelle, with its Wednesday and Sunday markets, its casino and its vast naturist beach.
• La Franqui, with its beautiful, majestic cliffs and its Roman fortified town.
• Port Leucate, with its naturist villages, its naturist beach, its port with many restaurants and shops, cycling and walking in Rosalies (bikes in many places), and of course Aqualand.
• Port Barcarès, with its daytime and nighttime activities, its sand-covered ship the Lydia, venue for many parties, ElectroBeach and others.
• Sigean, its shops and its Laughter Festival.
• The African Reserve in Sigean, where you can see animals in the wild.
• Salin de La Palme : Situated between the Mediterranean Sea and the north side of La Palme natural lake, Le Salin wetland covers an area of more than 400 hectares of very characteristic geometrical structures. The salt has been exploited by man since ancient times in a natural and wild landscape and salt production plays a key role in the balance and maintenance of the biodiversity of the lagoon.
Visit Le Salin wetland in a small train or by horse-drawn carriage and find out about the history of salt and the trade secrets of men working with this white gold. On site you will find the Boutique de la Mer shop, ideal for souvenirs, the “La Mer à boire” straw hut with its welcoming atmosphere and the “Hameau du Saunier” restaurant serving delicious food. For information contact 04 68 46 26 91 –
Less than 30 minutes from Le Clapotis
• Terra Vinea, underground caves, a magical and magnificent sight.
• Narbonne, a Roman town with many ruins and shady streets.
• Fitou and its red wine that can even be found in New York, not forgetting its ‘sound and light’ show, in which Clapotis residents take part.
• Rivesaltes, its caves and its old town. At the Medieval Festival in Babau in August, a dragon is set free in the town…
• The shopping centre of Claira, one of the biggest in Languedoc Roussillon.
More than 30 minutes from Le Clapotis
• Perpignan, capital of northern Catalonia, a beautiful city on the road to Spain.
• Le Perthus, the Franco-Spanish town, with the border running down the middle of the main street, offering the chance to shop at a discount.
• Cathar castles, from Quéribus to Montségur, and deep valleys where watersports are practiced.
• Carcassonne, medieval city, classified as part of the Heritage of Humanity. Breathtaking historical views.
Discover the Etang de la Palme